Friday, June 4, 2010

Arsenic, Tremors and the Tonic of Writing…

“I have learned, on my journeys, that if I let a day go by without writing, I grow uneasy. Two days and I am in tremor. Three and I suspect lunacy. Four and I might as well be a hog, suffering the flux in a wallow. An hour’s writing is a tonic. …Taking your pinch of arsenic every morn so you can survive to sunset. Another pinch at sunset so that you can more than survive until dawn. The micro-arsenic-dose swallowed here prepares you not to be poisoned and destroyed up ahead.”

—-Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing/Essays on Creativity

Most of come to writing seeking some kind of healing. Either consciously or unconsciously we have been hurt and experienced bodily pain, or injury to the soul. We are broken, or at least some part of us is. But we are not a victim.

Writing knows no victims, only those who seek healing from the sheer force of will and strength expressed and felt when and in our writing. Continue reading ‘Arsenic, Tremors and the Tonic of Writing…’


From: http://ping.fm/CjFUz

No comments:

Post a Comment